Zaporizhzhya Troops lands are the cradle of Ukrainian statehood. Established during Baida Vishnevetzky regiment Zaporozhian Cossacks soon evolved from border forces which were held back the Tartar hordes to influential political organization which became the basis of first Ukrainian state (Getmahschina) during Bogdan Khmelnitsky. For the first time since the days of ancient Russia Ukrainian lands united altogether. The main purpose of the tour will be reconstructed Zaporizhzhyan Sich and other Cossack attractions on the legendary island of Khortytsya. On the route you`ll visit the sparkling new skyscrapers of Dnipropetrovsk, see the grandest wooden temple of Ukraine, and be a guest at German colonists. Roads throughout the entire route are good.
Kitaygorod. It`s a village in Tsarichansky Raion. The first mention in written sources dating 1667 is on the border Hetman of Ukraine and Zaporizhzhya Sich. During the time of the Tatar raids on the bank of Orel river fortifications and walled palisade are built there. Inside was a small town for people to hide. In case of danger "nankeen" (red flag/kitayka ) which could be seen above the village had been removed. According to another version , the name comes from the Turkic word "Kitay" means "the wall". That`s why Russians and Ukrainians named China as "Kitay". Fortifications, which were part of the so-called Ukrainian lines, are not preserved but the decoration of the village are still three Cossack fortress churches of the XVIII century: Nikolaev, Assumption and St. Barbara. Built on the initiative of the Cossack centurion, P.Semenov who sought to strengthen its credibility in Zaporizhzhyan Sich. Now the church complex is an interesting tourist attraction.
Petrikovka is a picturesque village near Dnepropetrovsk , famous by its masters of decorative painting , the art of weaving and embroidery . The name probably connected with the name of the last Ataman Zaporozhyian Sech, Peter Kalnyshevsky , whose efforts in these areas have been established many Cossack winter khutors ("zimovnikas"). The first mention of Petrikovka contained in the petition of Kalnyshevsky to the higher clergy from 1772 with a request for transfer the Church of the Nativity from Kurilovka village and its consecration in the new location. The church survived until our days. Folk art began to develop here from its inception , when the hostess` began to paint their houses with flower patterns. In Soviet times gang of arts and crafts was organized, then" Friendship " factory and, finally , the firm " Petrikivsky Painting" Her painted products ( spoons, plates , pots , etc.) can be found in souvenir shops throughout Ukraine. The village has a Center of Folk Art " Petrikovka " at its base is a museum of ethnography , life and folk arts. Along the route there are several shops and stalls selling souvenirs Petrikovsky. A few miles west from Petrikovka Ethnographic Complex "Cossack farm Galushkovka" acts.
The village is near the Dnieper, 15 km west of Petrikovka. In the end of XVII Cossacks, who settled in the territory of the Wild Fields, founded Farm Galushkovka here. First settlement was part of the Samara palanka ("district" at Zaporizhian Sich) then Protovchanska of Zaporizhzhya Sich. Since the XIX century many samples of wooden dwelling and outbuildings preserved. On their basis in the 2008 NGO "Cossacks of Naddniprianshchyna" started reconstruction of Cossack farm Galushkovka and creation of ethnographic complex. Cossack fortification built as a layout with watchtowers, restored farmhouses, a museum and tavern. "Green" tourism is developing.
Novomoskovsk (literally New Moscow city) is a major regional center , 30 km north-west of Dnepropetrovsk. Originated on the right bank os Samara river as Cossack farm-zimovka ("wintering") in the XVII century . In 1688 near the ancient Samarsky monastery Hetman Ivan Mazepa had built Novobogoroditskaya fortress to protect the southern borders of the Russian Empire from the raids of Crimean Tatars. Since 1736 it is known as Samara retrenchment, then as "Novoselytsia". City was renamed to Novomoskovsk in 1794 when regional center was moved here. Citizens of Novomoskovsk actively participated in Koliyivschyna. The wooden Trinity Cathedral with bell tower, built in 1781 without a single nail is the most valuable historical monument. This unique nine-domed temple is a world-renowned pearl of wooden monumental architecture, described in O. Gonchar`s novel "Cathedral". Novomoskovsk now is an important industrial center. It employs 124 industrial enterprises, the largest among which is Novomoskovsky Pipe Plant "Interpipe" .
Dnepropetrovsk (formerly Yekaterinoslav, literally "Glory to Catherine" ) is picturesque town on both banks of the Dnieper river, the center of the defense and space industries. In XVII-XVIII centuries slightly lower across Dnieper there are Polish and then Cossack fortress Kodak existed (now ruined, trees preserved). Yekaterinoslav was founded as the southern capital of the Russian Empire by Prince Potemkin in 1787 on the site of the neighboring suburb of Zaporozhye named Polovitsa ("Floorboard") and was named in honor of the Empress Catherine II , who personally laid the first stone. By order of Paul I the city was renamed to Novorossiysk (1796-1802 years). In 1802 it became the provincial center. In 1820 Pushkin was serving an exile here. The rapid development of the city began in the 70s . XIX century after construction of the railway, which connected the Krivoy Rog iron ore- and Donetsk coal basins. In the 1917-20 period city was several times passed under the control of the Army of anarchist Nestor Makhno. In 1926 it was renamed to Dnipropetrovsk in honor of the revolutionary G. Petrovsky . Flourishing urban development came in the 1960s when here was built a unique 23 -kilometer Dnieper embankment. After the collapse of the Soviet Union city kept its industrial potential and become one of the main financial centers of the country, its architectural character in recent years was refreshed by new modern buildings. Dnipropetrovsk City Day celebrated on the second Sunday in September .
Nikolskoye-on-Dnieper village is located on a steep right bank of the river Dnieper between Dnipropetrovsk and Zaporizhia. Founded in 1744 by Cossack colonel I. Sinel'nikov opposite the big and dangerous Dnieper` threshold "Nenasytets", which is often mentioned in the chronicles (now it is hidden beneath the waters of the Dnipro reservoir). The village is named in honor of the founder's son Nicholas. In 1787 Sinel'nikov took the Russian Empress Catherine II as a guest in his estate. Here were artists Repin, Serov. Nearby is St. Nicholas dolmen located, also known as "Temple of the seven gates" (X-XII centuries BC). In 972 , in a battle with the Pechenegs Kievan prince Svyatoslav died here. In memory of this event in 1872 on the death place of Prince a memorial plate was installed – a rare pre-revolutionary monument dedicated to Ancient Rus. Until recently, the Nikolskoye-on-Dnieper was a recreational area of the Petrovsky plant (Dnepropetrovsk). Currently on territory of Nikolsky, Voyskovsky and Bashmachkovsky rural councils there is regional landscape park "Dnieper" created.
Small village Ruchaevka above Tomakivka river is situated 10 km east of Zaporozhye. Founded in 1883 as a German colony Shengorst (or Shengorka), part of the Khortyts'ke parish. The occasion was the decree of Empress Catherine II of the settlement of the southern territories, and permit foreigners to settle on any lands providing them with large land holdings on favorable terms. The main population of the colony were German Mennonites (followers of the radical currents within Protestantism). Agriculture is characterized by the use of advanced technologies. During World War I part of the population was deported to the Volga region. Another round of repression began in 1935 was completed in the early months of World War II. The remaining Germans were forced to emigrate because of the return of Soviet troops. After the collapse of the Soviet Union, some families returned to their ancestral lands in the village was established ethnographic museum of German colonists.
The city of Zaporozhye (formerly Oleksandrivsk) is a large industrial, scientific and cultural center on the Dnieper river. Deemed was officially founded in 1770, when the construction of the Alexander`s fortress began. However, back in 1554-55 years. on Khortytsya-island were first Cossack strengthen protection from Tatars – Zaporizhzhya Sich. In its place in the XI century there was an ancient fortress. Before that Scythians and Sarmatians lived here. In 1798, the Dnieper line of fortifications became an internal Russian territory. In 1932, the city is divided into two parts by DnieproHES (Hydro electro-station), which gave impetus to the development of Zaporozhye industrial complex, of which now comprises more than 300 companies. One of the most famous is AutoZaZ factory, which produced the famous "Zaporozhets" – hero of numerous anecdotes. In the 30- ies of XX century central part of the city has undergone a complete renovation. Old buildings almost did not survive, but the new "Stalinist" building is considered one of the best examples of urban art USSR. Day of Zaporozhye celebrated on October 14.